Sunday 14 November 2010

Running

I had a great run this morning. Up into the hills behind my house, ascending 1000 feet. To Stoodley Pike.

My target is the Hot Toddy, a 5.8 mile hilly road race on December 27th. I started running round then and did it in 52.00 minutes. This year I want to knock 10 minutes off that. I did it in 45.40 recently. But 42.00 is probably beyond me. We'll see.

I love running. This morning it was misty on the first bit of the tops, then the clouds were blown away and I got to see the whole of Calderdale winding down towards Halifax.

And since I braved off road routes, things have been even better. I was always afraid of running off the tarmac because my left knee is knackered. But so far it has held up to gentle fell running. It is amazing to be able to run for an hour knee-deep in mud and water, not seeing another person. I love it. I don't think about anything at all.

Next year, if all goes well, I'm going to do a fell race. I may come last.

After a run I feel great, then tired, then great again. I swear it gives me more energy when I'm writing or talking to school groups.

Six weeks to go. Forgive me if I go on about it.

No comments: