Friday 12 August 2011

Rugby World Cup



There is less than a month to go until the Rugby World Cup kicks off. And I, like millions, am really looking forward to it.


I watched the 2003 final in the attic of our house, with my daughter on my knee. She was two weeks old and weighed less than a rugby ball at the time. I can't remember how I celebrated that winning kick, but I imagine I was quite restrained.

I am even more excited about the 2011 World Cup because I'm going to be doing a lot of work to use the interest in rugby to promote reading to young people across the UK.

This is what's going on:





* I have written a toolkit of rugby related literacy ideas for the National Literacy Trust. It is free. Available here.


* I will be surveying books, magazines, newspapers and websites for the best rugby reading from now until the end of the tournament, tweeting about everything I find at @worldcupreader. Please follow me if you're interested.


* I am touring schools and book festivals to play my Rugby Reading Game (rugby reading quiz followed by a goal kicking competition) in September and October. Most events re in schools, but the public events include:

Bath Children Book Festival - 24 september


Ilkley Literature Festival - 2 October


Beverley Literature Fesitval - 8 October


Manchester Literature Festival - 16 October



* and, my new rugby book Scrum! - details here - is out in October, published by Barrington Stoke.


If anyone has anything else going on based on reading and writing about the world cup, please let me know.






No comments: