Thursday 17 March 2011

Characters


I'm planning my new series for Puffin, The Squad. It is about spies and football and comes out in May 2012. I've got the plot sorted. I was working on characters today.


I need a sort of a master spy. He's going to be called Jim. He is based on two Jim/James I know. Clear-minded. Fair. Kind. Ready to tell you the truth, even if it's not so nice to hear.


I like basing my characters on real people. It helps me make them more real.


I'm also working on a spy called Lily. She's based on someone else. As is Marcella. But I'd best keep their real identities secret... for now.


I have a week to sort out the characters and plot in full, then I'm off to Ukraine and Poland in a hire car to find some settings. Woods full of wolves. Gas pipelines. Football stadia.


I can't wait.


No comments: