Sunday 1 April 2012

Living the Dream

We (my wife and I) spent a bit of time this weekend planning the promotion of my new book, Black Op.

It's out in a month and we have some exciting things going on. Events. Free stories and resources. Blogs. Competitions. News pieces. You name it. (So long as it doesn't cost too much.)

I feel like this is a really important book for me. It has to do well.

Writers today are judged by their book sales. If we don't sell so well, then we're vulnerable and our dream of being a writer that makes a living from the job might come to an end.

That's life. Everyone is in a position like that these days. Writers are no different.

I've been lucky. I've had fourteen books commissioned by Puffin. That is beyond any dream I ever had.

But I want more. I want to write more stories. I have dozens of ideas. I love what I do. It's a brilliant job. And that includes going into schools and talking to children about books. Most definitely.

Also - and let's be honest - it's my job. If I don't sell book, I don't get paid.

When children ask me why I write my books, I say:

* because I love making up stories

* because I like to travel and watch football

But I also say:

* because I get paid to do it and it means I can support my family.

So, I am planning the launch of Black Op. There's more about book at http://tompalmer.co.uk/index.php?page_id=62. You can even read the first chapter.


No comments: