Tuesday 3 February 2009

Stockton Children's Book Prize

I'm up for the Stockton Children's Book prize next month. With four other authors. We have a day of events in Stockton, then there's a prize ceremony in the evening. It'll be the first time I've done something like that, so I'm really looking forward to it. Win or lose.

I went to my local library to get the other four books out. To see what they were like. Weigh up my chances. All four were in stock. Pretty good!

The first one I read - and still am - is Bearkeeper by Josh Lacey. And...

... it's brilliant.

A really good story about a boy who wants to be a fighter like his (missing) dad. But he doesn't quite know how to find his dad. He lives on the edge of a forest, but has to go to London. It's really well written, has great characters and makes you want to keep reading. Top marks.

It'll be good to go back to Stockton. My best mate lived there for years. Still does. I know parts of the town pretty well.

No comments: