Tuesday 21 July 2009

Fair Trade Chocolate

I am back in Accra after two days in central Ghana, visiting schools and cocoa farms.

It was amazing. I talked to 60 or 70 kids in a school. The school was paid for by money that comes from people in the UK buying Divine or Dubble bars. The kids asked me lots of questions, including... What is your greatest fear?

I told them about my fear of flying. I don't like it. The one I just got off was tiny and felt like it was falling out of the sky at one point.

The best bit was when they asked me to sing Leeds football songs. So I did. Marching on together at full volume on the edge of a jungle. Then they sang some of theirs. Brilliant.

After that the lovely Kuapa Cocoa people took me to a farm to see cocoa trees and how the beans are harvested, dried, fermented and weighed.

We walked through deep forest, past burning fields and into a small farm miles from anywhere. And there we tasted fresh cocoa. Mmmmmmmmmmm.

Nothing like dried, fermented, weighed, cooked, mixed-with-milk. chocolate, but nice all the same.

Now we're off to get on a plane to Rome. Me and my fear.

I can't wait to see my wife and daughter!

No comments: