Sunday 19 July 2009

Ghana Match

I'm just back from Heart of Oak v Sporting Mirren, the game that decided the Ghanaian premier league. I won't keep you in suspense any longer: Heart of Oak are the champions!

The game was okay. Not brilliant, to be honest.

But the fans were. They were so up for it. Very noisy. And when it was over they filled the streets with more noise. They were blowing horns, banging drums, waving flags over their heads, everything.

It was weird that a lot of them were wearing English shirts at the game: Chelsea, Liverpool, Man U, West Ham, Everton, etc. No Leeds, which upset me a bit.

Apparently - according to my guides - if they had lost they might have attacked the referee and some officials. Luckily, that didn't happen.

The stadium was mostly without a roof. People were coming round selling nuts, water, ice creams. Overhead, during the first half, I saw a pair of giant vultures. In the second half a large grey UN plane leaving the airport.

Now I can't wait for the English football season to start. 8 August, Leeds v Exeter. I'm taking my daughter.

No comments: