Sunday 27 September 2009

Criminology

A friend of mine who knows a lot about crime - and I mean a lot - gave me an essay about criminology. I am not 100% sure what it is. But I think it's about why people do crimes, what crime is, etc.

I've been reading up some more. There are lots of books about why people steal and kill and kidnap. That it's not always down to wanting to get money. I suppose I sort of knew this somewhere in the back of my head. But now I can put it into words. Sort of.

Take a boy who has everything. A big house. Loving parents. Nice holidays. But every night he goes out to spray paint walls, damage property, throw stones through windows, that sort of thing. Why does he do it? What does he get out of it?

I'm trying to create a character for the book I'm writing. I need to read this criminology stuff to understand more.

I love making up villains. It's the best bit about writing.

No comments: