Thursday 2 September 2010

Writing and Running

Hurray! I've finished Own Goal, the fifth Foul Play book. Now it goes to Lindsey at Puffin, so she can cast her intelligent eye over it.

I feel pretty good about finishing it. My wife suggested we have a BBQ this evening to celebrate. She is at the supermarket as I speak buying charcoal, or whatever that black stuff is taht you burn in BBQs. I still have loads of beer left that I had bought in to watch England in the later stages of the World Cup.

As I have been writing the book I have also been training for a 10K race. Three runs a week, mostly.



This is my number. It's in Mytholmroyd on Sunday - birthplace of Ted Hughes. Alice's Run in aid of Epilepsy Action.

I hope to do it in under 50 minutes, which would be good for me and maybe a bit beyond me... and nothing special in the greater scheme of things.

My great focus, however, is not this race. The big one for me is 27 December: The Hot Toddy. A punishing 5.8 miles over the tops in Todmorden. I did it in 52'00 last year, my first ever race. This year I am targeting 42'00, a ten minute improvement. It is possible, so long as my bad knee holds out.

No comments: