Monday 19 January 2009

Off Side

Years ago I bought a book called Off Side by Manuel Vazquez Montalban. It's about an English centre forward playing in Spain - and threats made against him. I started reading it last night. It's great. Really dark and menacing. And written beautifully. More of a book for adults, though.

It's weird: all I seem to be reading is football books. I normally read much wider. What am I reading next? Gazza's autobiography.

A good weekend for football. Leeds won again. And - so far - we've held onto our superstar 19 year old, Fabian Delph. But for how long?

And what about Man City? It's interesting to see all these players come in. Tonight the Kaka transfer is in the balance. I'd be surprised if it went through. But then I never thought Robhino would go to Man City.

I actually like Man City. Whenever I meet their fans at the author events I do, they always talk a lot of sense. They know their football too. The ones I meet anyway.

If you want to read a good football story by a Man City fan, read Anthony McGowan's The Bare Bum Gang and the Football Face Off. Aimed at 7-11 year olds, it's funny and has a great ending.

2 comments:

conman997 said...

Hi tom you may not remember me but you visited my school called amington Heath community school.I'm Kyle Askham u came to are school and done a quiz about football and then done a penalty shoot out with us.you also signed are red and yellow cards. If you don't believe this is me I will prove it. i shook your hand at the end of the shoot out and I said " it was nice meeting you" and if you still don't beleive me we had our special goalkeeper that was our head teacher well it's been nice meeting you tom it has been a great experience meeting a real published authour. well bye Tom palmer I hope I can meet you again bye.

Tom Palmer said...

Hello Kyle. I remember you. Thanks for the message. I hope things are okay with you. I've been finishing a book, so I've not been on the blog for a few days. I'm nearly there. I've just got to work out how to end it. I've got a mental block. I think I'll go for a walk. Hope the snow is good with you. It is here. Cheers - Tom