Monday 3 January 2011

2011 - the plan

I've just turned down the chance of a winter walk with the poet, Craig Bradley. (Also known as www.thatpoetrybloke.com.)

I would love to go for a walk with him, but this week I need to get writing. I have two months to get the first draft of Over the Line written and that includes two days at the Imperial War Museum later this week and if I don't prepare for that it'll be a waste of time going.

2011 is going to be like that. I feel like this is the year that could make or break my career. I have to write three books. If they are not 100% as good as I can make them, maybe my career as a writer will start to wane. Then I have to worry about my mortgage and the overdraft.

I'm not complaining. I love my job. I write. I go into four schools a week - or more. I'm lucky I am published at all.

But it's not ideal for friendships. Never being at home. Always worrying about time.

Craig reads this blog. He understands. He does the same as I do. In fact, he has a great children's novel out in the spring. Beautifully written.

I'm sorry Craig.

No comments: