Thursday 27 January 2011

Over the Line

I'm still writing Over the Line, my book about footballers in World War One. I'm up to 32,000 words. 6,000 to go. In the first draft.

I have been reading exclusively about WW1 for four months. I have been watching films, visiting museums. I have been dreaming it. It's been intense. But I am nearly there.

But is it any good?

It's hard to say. I have never written about the past before. My wife and agent and co-author like the first 8,000 words. No one has read the rest.
I am going to France soon - with my family - to see remaining/reconstructed trenches, cemetries and museums about the war. I want to get it right. I think it is going to be a great trip. I think going to places where something happened gives you a better sense of what they meant. I will see things that I could not imagine. That's the reason I go to places if I'm writing about them.
Saying that, I'm not going to 1916, am I?

Have you been to the Imperial War Museum? It's amazing. There is a mocked up trench there.
Here's a picture:


No comments: